While the basics of preparing a house for market remain the same – fresh paint, updated lighting and flooring, etc. – home décor trends change on a regular basis. There are some interesting shifts predicted on the horizon for 2018. Some might surprise you. They surprised us for sure! Here are a few that really stood out: OUT:
- Stark white kitchens (white cabinets, white counters, white backsplash, etc.)
- Stainless steel sinks
- Accent Walls
- Word Art on walls, pillows, etc.
- Architectural accents like pillars and barn doors
- Kitchens with warm wood tones paired with heavy neutrals like cream, beige, blue and gray. Read: Heavy design look vs. light and airy
- Textures, such as wainscoating & millwork (in lieu of accent walls)
- Dark colors and jewel tones (think emerald, sapphire, navy and purple.) In fact, Ultra Violet is the 2018 design color of the year. We are also starting to see black rooms (paint) come into fashion. This look is undoubtedly tricky to pull off.
- Brass. Yes, it is back, though with a different flavor than in 1995. It seems to work well in a powder bath, or in the form of a gooseneck faucet – essentially as a statement piece.
- Imperfection: We are referring to handmade items, pottery, personal pieces and organic flair.
- Statement Storage: Trendy credenzas, buffet tables, and unique pieces that have storage capacity.
- Bold floral furniture paired with neutrals.